Since 1990, the Lafontaine Arts Council has sponsored Arts in Education programming in all Huntington County Schools. Each year this high quality presentation impacts students in grades PreK-12 by introducing them to and encouraging participation in creative and culturally rich opportunities that may not otherwise be accessible in our community. Some of the programs offered both in the past and currently are as follows:
Elementary Schools – Symphony Introduction
- Ft. Wayne Philharmonic Educational Ensembles
- LaFontaine Arts Council is proud to have a 30 year partnership with the educational ensembles. Through this programming, students of Huntington County are introduced to all 5 sections of the orchestra by the time they reach middle school where involvement in music and band has increased opportunity, Arts and Culture
Arts and Culture Artist-in-Residency
- Each year the Council recruits a high quality Arts and Cultural presenter to tour all Huntington County Schools. Performers are housed at the Huntington Arts & Entrepreneurial Center in the artist apartment and studio for a week long stay. In 2019 the program was first presented to the public outside of the school setting and has inspired the Council to offer the Arts in Education, featured presentation to the whole community through the Arts Center.
- Fort Wayne Dance Collective Performances
- Arabiqa: Arab Music, Dance, and Culture
- Didgeridoo Down Under: Australian Music and Culture
- Griot Drum Ensemble
- Poetry Alive!
- Taiko Drums
Arabiqa: Arabic Music, Dance, and Culture
Fort Wayne Dance Collective: Asian Celebration
Artist of the Month
Junior High School and High School Achievement Awards
The LAC Artist of the Month program has been in existence since 1990. Each year, September-May, teachers from across the county nominate their students who excel in creative arts like Music, Fine Arts, Language Arts, and Performing Arts classes to honor them as a “LaFontaine Arts Council’s Artist of the Month.” Each student receives a framed certificate of recognition from the LAC and a corresponding article and photograph with their nominating teacher is sent as a press release to to all area news papers and the Huntington Chamber News.